Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Kids Summer Reading

I am an avid reader and love nothing more than to sit down with a great book. During the summer my kids have mandatory reading assignments from their school. I think this is bitter sweet. I love for my kids to read, however, this required reading I absolutely loathe. Between activities, camps and just having fun (isn't that what summer is about???) it is like pulling teeth to get it done and I do not want them to ever loose their love/like of "leisurely" reading.
My son is going into the 4th grade. His "mandatory" book is :
This is a great book and he is enjoying it. He is also required to choose two more books from a list in addition to this one.
My daughter is going into the 6th grade. Her "mandatory" book is:


She has not read this yet. She is required to also choose three additional books from the list provided by their school. She has read one book and is on her second (thank God!).

To add to the madness, I have added workbooks into the mix!!! First I complain, and then I add fuel to the fire!!! I have made it fun for the kids. So many pages completed they earn treats!! My daughter has chosen i-Tunes songs and my son chose packs of sports cards. Fair enough!!! These are the workbooks I am having the kids work on:




Whatever gets done, it can only help!!! Trust me, they should not complain (nor should I) they are having a blast this summer and we have a VERY busy August planned with three trips...including one to Ireland!!!

Cheers......................

No comments:

Post a Comment